Monday, August 1, 2016

JT-65 signal reports

On Sunday I decided to move from CW to digital and see how my small antenna setup preformed using JT-65.  I first made sure the software and the rig would "talk" with each other. The software I use is WSJT-X by K1JT along with Win4K3 suite for rig control. I find K1JT's software very easy to use, it has been some time since I used it but I had no issues getting it up and running. I then went to PSK reporter to see which bands were preforming well. I ended up choosing 20m, I did bounce around to 15m, 17m and 30m but ended up staying with 20m. My power was set to 5 watts and the antenna was my trusty MFJ 1788 loop antenna. I am in a condo on the 6th floor which seems to be a good hight for the antenna. The only issue I have is other tall condo's to the left and right of me and one right dead centre. I had called CQ for about 4 hours off and on and the PSK reporter did show my signal was getting out. I was pleased with the results as with CW the Reverse Beacon network at the best of times only gave me between 3 to 10 hits that were all state side and fairly local to me as well. I was very pleased to be heard in the Netherlands and European Russia! Below is a screen shot of the results using PSK reporter.
 I also wanted to mention that on Saturday I tried to run WSPR and I say "tried" as I had ZERO spots reported and that was after having it up and running for several hours. I was not sure if something was wrong with my setup. I again was using WSJT's program and it showed no issues. My power was set to 1 watt and I ended up raising that to 4 watts but still no one heard my signal. I was pleased to see a decent response to my JT-65 effort and I then knew my signal was getting out.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know what you mean Mike... 2w and a wire get spotted all over ... QSO's however not so easy...

73bob

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bob, very nice to hear from you and yes it can get frustrating at times but that's part of the hobby and really most of the hams are going through these issues as well. I did add to my post that I did try WSPR on Sunday starting out with 1 watt and moving it up to 4 watts and did not get one signal report back.
73, Mike

VA3ZC said...

Hi Mike,
I've never had a single result with pskreporter and wspr. But tons of hits with wsprnet.org. I'm in a similar situation to you, in my case 10th floor in Oakville. I also have the 1788 but use it only during the winter. My balcony is too small for it and me and I live out here during the nice parts of the year. So for now I'm using hamsticks with a single tuned counterpoise. Not a beam but not far below the 1788 either.
Good Luck.
73's Paul VA3ZC

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon, very nice to hear from a local ham and also one who has a setup very close to mine. Our balcony is not to bad for size so I am able to keep the setup year around. I do have the 1788 off to one side when not in use so that free's up some space as well. I would never get away with ham sticks as the condo cop's are very diligent with their inspections.
Nice to hear from you and 73,
Mike

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, well done, almost near my QTH. Hope to catch you some day. 73 Paul PC4T

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul, I had received an email from a fellow ham last evening and he is thinking the PSK reporter is only showing stations I hear not that are hearing me. I am going to have to check into this and make sure I have the program setup properly.
73, Mike

VE9KK said...

Good evening Paul, thanks very much for the link I for sure will check it out 73, Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hi Mike, I missed this post in my blogroll but saw it on Paul´s blogroll. I´m planning to make a article about the way I work with WSJT-X and the programs I use along. The picture you showed here indeed only shows what you heard and not who heard you. It could be a matter of software setup. I wish I was able to simulate your antenna situation to show it can work. I have a magnetic loop for 30m as you probabely know. I might test it (when time alows) with my FT817 on 1W and see what I'm able to work. I was in Denmark this spring and had a MP-1 on the ground, worked some stations on JT9/JT65. Not many, but that was because I only tried for an hour or so. Look forward for some posts about JT on my blog. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, that would be great to see and I look very forward to reading it. Here is an odd thing.....it's true the spot that are shown on the pic I posted are all reports of what I am receiving. I went to the site Paul mentioned and I entered my call and low and behold I had a whole list of stations that heard my JT-65 signal. Maybe I have a setup issue with PSKreporter......but I am now switching to hamspots and over the weekend I will be back on JT-65 and see how hamspots does.
73 and have a good weekend.
Mike

SV1GRN said...

Hi, your signals reached Europe so I hope I'll work you some day. On pskreporter if you choose: "sent/rcvd by" you'll see both stations (signals decoded by you and your signal decoded by others). Good DX 73 de SV1GRN

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Panagiotis, I will look at the settings on PSK reporter and see how it is setup.
Thanks for taking to the to stop by and comment.
73, Mike